♥ more about my website ♥

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Term #9 - SPEAKER



definition
a person that is telling you the messenges and talking with you in the poem. a poem is this person's point of view, and the poets are not always the speaker.
example
My old man's a white old man
And my old mother's black.
If ever I cursed my white old man
I take my curses back.
If ever I cursed my black old mother
And wished she were in hell,
I'm sorry for that evil wish
And now I wish her well
My old man died in a fine big house.
My ma died in a shack.
I wonder were I'm going to die,
Being neither white nore black?
the author is trying to tell the story through a point of view of a mixed child who has white dad and black mom.
      "In his poem, “Cross,” Langston Hughes explores the idea of how an individual of mixed race might feel. So he created a mixed race character and let him speak. Hughes, himself, cannot be testifying to how that person feels, because he does not actually have the experience himself. But he is perfectly capable of exploring the idea, the “what if” situation, that poets engage in quite often."
significance
isn't it boring if a writer only write poems of how he or she sees the world? same author, different speaker would let the writer to try more on to be someone else's point of view. from there, the readers can experience the new 'me' of the author by multifarious perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment